To be honest, come the third trimester, I pretty much lived in maternity workout clothes. Finding the best maternity workout clothing that comfortably fits (without being too tight!) is important to ensure you stay confident, active and productive throughout your pregnancy.
Finding time for daily movement is crucial for your mental and physical health, especially during pregnancy. Trust me, it's worth every minute! I loved working out at home doing low-impact barre classes, a gentle 15-minute pregnancy safe core circuit, or when my energy levels improved, more high-intensity cycling workouts on my Peloton.
Whether you’re fitting fitness into your routine, running after an active toddler, or going into full-on nesting mode, here are some great maternity workout options for your growing bump.
- The Importance of Maternity Workout Clothes
- Different Types of Maternity Workout Clothes
- Top Brands for Maternity Workout Clothes
- Transitioning into Maternity Clothes – When is the Right Time?
- Maintaining Your Maternity Workout Clothes – Tips and Tricks
- Can You Continue Wearing Maternity Clothes Post-Pregnancy?
The Importance of Maternity Workout Clothes
Maternity workout clothes are not just a luxury, but a necessity for expecting mothers. As your body undergoes the amazing transformation of pregnancy, your regular workout clothes may no longer offer the comfort and flexibility you need. The right maternity workout clothing is designed with extra room to accommodate your growing baby bump, providing the support needed for your changing physique.
Maternity workout clothing ensures you stay comfortable during your workouts, which can motivate you to maintain an active lifestyle throughout your pregnancy. Beyond functionality, the best maternity workout clothes also offer style, lightweight material for breathability, and extra support. You can totally rock a fabulous look even while working out during pregnancy!
Different Types of Maternity Workout Clothes
Let's explore the variety of maternity workout clothes available on the market, each offering unique features to cater to different types of exercises and stages of pregnancy.
Maternity Sports Bras
The key here is balancing breast support with band flexibility around your rib cage. Your needs will vary depending on if you are doing low-impact or high-impact workouts. I highly advise against using a nursing bralette during any type of workout given its stretchy nature and low support. You’ll likely end up with an embarrassing boob slip moment.
Some of my favorite sports bras:
- Lululemon Align Reversible Bra Light Support
- Nike Swoosh Women's Medium-Support Padded Sports Bra
- Gapfit Maternity Low Impact Nursing Sports Bra
Maternity Workout Tops
Some maternity workout tees have cinched sides for extra elasticity, but some brands have developed styles that don’t have this cinched feature at all (which I personally prefer). Depending on the type of workout, you can often find workout top options that double as layering pieces under cardigans or sweaters.
Some of my favorite workout tops:
- GapFit Maternity Breathe T-Shirt (no cinched sides!)
- CRZ YOGA Butterluxe Y Back Maternity Tank Top
- Hatch The Body Tank (no cinched sides!)
Maternity Workout Pants and Shorts
Getting a comfortable set of maternity leggings, joggers, and shorts can make or break your comfort level while working out. The last thing you want is to feel restricted while doing a yoga flow.
Here are some of my favorite leggings:
- Lululemon Super High Rise Align Pants and Shorts (not technically maternity, but size up during your 2nd trimester and these will carry you through the postpartum period)
- H&M MAMA Jersey Leggings
- CRZ YOGA Womens Butterluxe Maternity Leggings and Yoga shorts
- Hatch The Ultimate Before, During & After Legging
- Old Navy Cloud Joggers
Top Brands for Maternity Workout Clothes
When it comes to maternity workout clothes, several brands stand out for their exceptional design, durability, and comfort. These brands will make your fitness journey during pregnancy as comfortable and stylish as possible.
- Align™ High-Rise Pant 28″
- Softstreme Perfectly Oversized Cropped Crew
- Energy BraHigh Support, B–DDD Cups
- Nike Alate Sports Bra
- Nike Zenvy Leggings
- Women's Reversible Pullover (Maternity)
- Nike Dri-FIT Maternity Tank
Amazon’s CRZ Yoga
- Performance Maternity & Postpartum Leggings
- Micromodal Maternity & Postpartum Bralette
- Bamboo Jersey Maternity V-Neck Tee
- Maternity PowerChill Sleeveless Racerback Bodysuit
- Maternity PowerChill Light Support Cross-Front Nursing Sports Bra
- Maternity Cross-Front Nursing Pullover Hoodie
Nordstrom’s Ingrid & Isabel
- Seamless Active Maternity/Nursing Bra
- Workout Performance Maternity Top
- Performance Maternity Leggings
- Reversible Faux Shearling Maternity Jacket
Transitioning into Maternity Clothes – When is the Right Time?
Transitioning into maternity workout clothes is largely a personal decision, dependent on when you start to feel uncomfortable in your regular workout clothes. There's no ‘one-size-fits-all' timeline for this transition. Some pregnant women start wearing maternity workout clothing as early as the first trimester when bloating might make their regular clothes feel tight. I found difficulty fitting into stiffer clothing by the 8-week mark, whereas my workout clothes fit until my second trimester.
Maintaining Your Maternity Workout Clothes – Tips and Tricks
Always check the care label on your clothing for specific washing instructions. Generally, it's best to wash maternity workout clothes on a gentle cycle with cold water. Avoid using harsh detergents as they can break down the elasticity of the fabric over time. A mild, hypoallergenic detergent is ideal, especially considering your skin may become more sensitive during pregnancy.
When it comes to drying, I recommend refraining from putting workout clothing in a dryer. Air drying is highly recommended because the dryer can weaken the fabric and cause shrinkage. If you must use a dryer, opt for a low or delicate heat setting.
Can You Continue Wearing Maternity Clothes Post-Pregnancy
Absolutely! And you most likely will during the first few weeks (and months!) postpartum. One of the greatest things about maternity workout clothes is their longevity and utility post-pregnancy. Maternity workout clothes, designed with comfort and flexibility in mind, can continue to serve as comfortable loungewear or workout clothing. The adjustable waistbands found in many maternity workout leggings or shorts can be quite useful during the postpartum period, accommodating your body as it gradually reverts to its pre-pregnancy state. Continue to wear your maternity workout clothes as long as they make you feel good, comfortable, and confident.
To discover more actionable tips for working moms as well as valuable info on motherhood and postpartum and family life, subscribe to the newsletter.